CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– A 10-year review of disability claims shows the effects of an aging workforce, medical advances and the power of early intervention, according to data from Unum (NYSE: UNM), a leading provider of disability benefits. Unum tracks reasons behind workplace absence in its disability data and shares results each May during Disability Insurance Awareness Month.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180503006409/en/
Key findings include:
- Short and long term disability claims for joint disorders and musculoskeletal issues have increased significantly.
- Cancer has stayed the No. 1 reason for long term disability claims, representing 17 percent of claims.
- Pregnancy continues to top the list of short term disability claims, at 28 percent.
- Long term disability claims for complicated pregnancies have decreased 47 percent.
- The percentage of Unum’s short term disability behavioral health claims that transition to long term is down 15 percent, the result of a dedicated behavioral health program implemented at Unum.